In this game you play a hacker. When you first log in to your hacking console you get an email from someone you don’t know, who asks you to do a hack for him because he heard great things about you. If you succeed, your name will become more known, and you will get more hacking assignments.
The assignments get harder along the game. To help you in your hacking adventure, you have a full featured hacking toolbox. You have tools like: ping, portscan, telnet, virus uploader, password hacker, file destroyer, etc.
The operating system used in the game is a mix of *NIX and MS-DOS, which I called ChaOs. It has some nice features, like a local filesystem (you can add your own folders), and much more cool stuff.
The manual hints about undocumented commands. Since I lost the sourcecode I had to use a HEX editor to find them in the executable. They are:
- WHAT_IS_THE_MATRIX? — this will trigger a cool easter egg
- WHERE_CAN_I_PLACE_MY_JOLT? — this will trigger a cool easter egg (untested)
- FORMAT — this will trigger a cool easter egg
- I_AM_CHAOZZ — this changes your alias to chaozz (this is normally prevented)
- TEST_HIGHSCORE — this was used back in the day for me to test the online highscore function. no longer works.
HackTheGame121.zip (1.1 MiB, 18,497 hits)
User created mission packs can be found here.